Saturday, April 30, 2011

Combing and end pour

The cockpit combing is starting to look like it was worth all the time spent working on it. It is very labor intensive but I think that it will stand out nice when it is finished. It is made from Purple heart, Bass wood, and Ash all laminated together. I just put a layer of glass and epoxy on before taking this photo. Click on the photo to get a better look.

Some people make an end pour on each end of the kayak. I did not want to add the extra weight and epoxy is very heavy and even more expensive. I used 20% epoxy and 80% microballoons to fill the ends of the bow and stern.


Now I can drill a hole for a grab rope to go through. And this will help me as it gives me a flat surface to glue the deck to the hull.


It is very light because the microballoons are mostly made of air.



No comments:

Post a Comment