Monday, August 30, 2010

Building a Guillemot kayak

I have started another kayak.

It's a 17 foot sea kayak called a Guillemot.

It was designed by Nick Schade.
He is a very famous kayak designer and builder.

This is one of his books, The strip built sea kayak. Inside is all the engineering data to make this kayak without any blueprints.

I have very little money to spend on any kayak, so this is a good way to start. By drawing all the forms my self I save $110 by not having to buy a set of blueprints.

I have found local sources to buy cedar dirt cheep so my biggest expense is epoxy and glass cloth. I will need to save about $350 to buy that.

When it is finished I will put it up for sale. I think that it might bring about $3,000 if I do a good job. It would bring much more if I can get some name recognition. If it does not sell, then Donna will have the nicest looking kayak in Linden.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lou,

    I am glad to see you posting your 2nd build. I really enjoyed watching the process and I am sure I will be using your photos and descriptions in the future. By the way, we are home for the Labor day weekend and planning on being out on the lake. Feel free to come over and join me for some paddling and burgers.

    ReplyDelete